Fred Stluka on 27 Aug 2009 17:17:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to avoid spam blacklists?...

Douglas Muth wrote:

Not use Amazon?  At least not for something like SMTP where a static
IP is going to be very helpful?  My understanding of EC2 (someone
correct me if I'm wrong) is that it's intended for setting up machines
on an "as-needed" basis, and then take them down when they are no
longer needed.

It might make more sense to grab a virtual machine from a place such
as linode.com, which does use static IPs.

Doug,

Amazon makes it very easy to put machines up and down quickly, but
also very easy (and very cheap) to keep them up permanently, as I'm
doing with my server.  It's costing me $32/month for the virtual
server with fast CPU, lots of RAM, large hard drive and VERY fast
Internet connection, instead of the $100/month I was previously
paying just for the much slower Internet connection to my old tired
server.

I'm writing a series of tips about how to replace a real server with
a virtual server, as I am currently doing.  If interested, see:

    http://bristle.com/Tips/CloudComputing.htm#aws_intro

If you (or any PLUG member) want to be added to any of my Tips lists,
see:
    http://bristle.com/invite.htm
--Fred