Jeff Weisberg on 2 Sep 2009 09:21:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] server monitoring- set up threshold alerts

On 2 Sep, 2009, at 11:16, Ron Kaye Jr wrote:

> need to monitor server activity and send ALERTS for exceeded
> thresholds.
> have 2 rhel5, 2 ubuntu for now
>
> 1) any suggestions on what to monitor (  ie   >80% processor,
> >80%disk usage, failed logins etc)
> 2) any suggestions on the best tool ( i installed webmin which
> appears, at first glance, to be pretty good)
> 3) how about network activity?

2) I'm a fan of argus for system + network monitoring. it's
manufactured locally!
	argus.tcp4me.com

1) some balance between
	a) just basic critical services
		smtp on the mail server, http on the web server, ...
	b) everything that can be monitored
		ping times, cpu load, disk usage, disk activity, zfs status,
		dns authoritativeness, web page content, interface errors, ...

where to set alerting threshholds depends mostly on
	a) your tolerance for suckiness
	b) your lead times for repairing, replacing, or upgrading

3) yes. network utilization, ping times, interface errors, BGP peer
status, ...

	--jeff