The Nut on 2 Sep 2009 09:22:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] server monitoring- set up threshold alerts

I agree.   Enabling SNMP will allow you to use a host of tools to
periodically probe this kind of information.  I personally use cacti to
pull performance data and store it for trending (it comes with a lot of
useful templates out of the box).  I use nagios for point in time checks
and alerting on thresholds.  In both cases, I'm using SNMP as the
protocol to get the information from the servers.  Works great.

~Paul