Ezra Wolfe on 17 Sep 2009 06:34:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] subversion question

I've had the same problem and pretty sure this also works (caveat:
it's been a while since this happened) .

Delete the file(s) from the repo. Add the ignore property. Re-add the files.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Eric <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> BZZZZT!  Previous email sent before it was complete...
>

> I have a question about using subversion:
>
> I have a tree of source code - but several files and perhaps one
> specific subdirectory are to be left out of subversion.  In my case it's
> the config.php file which is different between my development and
> production code.  I may even want to leave out ALL the files in the
> configuration directory and manually maintain any changes there.
>
> All the tutorials and instructions I see tell me to use:
>
> svn import project_dir file:///home/svn/project
>
> ..but this brings ALL the files in the tree "project_dir" into the project.
>
> NEVERMIND:  In the course of researching the question I found this (AKA: The answer):
>
>        Subversion's support for ignorable file patterns extends
>        only to the one-time process of adding unversioned
>        files and directories to version control.  Once an object is
>        under Subversion's control, the ignore pattern mechanisms no
>        longer apply to it.  In other words, don't expect Subversion
>        to avoid committing changes you've made to a versioned file
>        simply because that file's name matches an ignore
>        pattern—Subversion /always/ notices
>        all of its versioned objects.
>

> Eric
>
> --
> #  Eric Lucas
> #
> #                "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
> #                 And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
> #                                        -- John Gillespie Magee Jr

Regards,
Ezra Wolfe

DLC Solutions, LLC
109 South 13th Street
Unit Two South
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Office: 267-234-7400 Ext. 21
Mobile: (215) 868-5336
Fax: (703) 935-5594
AIM: ezrawolfe
Skype: ezra.wolfe
Website: http://www.dlc-solutions.com

Award-Winning eHealth Solutions | Philadelphia, PA & Washington, DC