JP Vossen on 17 Sep 2009 12:19:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hitting the Netbooks

First, define netbook vs. sub-notebook  vs. ultralight...

My mental definition is that a "netbook" should have no internal moving
parts, which means no hard disk or fan, but I don't think that's
necessarily a universal criteria.

I like no internal moving parts because there is much less to break, and
I won't crash the disk head when I throw the unit into a bag that gets
bounced around, or toss it onto the couch.

I've been *very* pleased with the Mini-9 I got from the Dell "outlet"
store.  Search the list archives for "mini-9" and you will find lots and
lots of details.  I upgraded mine to 2G RAM and 16G SSD and the grand
total would probably be just under $350 with current prices since they
went up a bit since I did it.  Mine came with Ubuntu Hardy and I
upgraded to Jaunty.  Both Just Worked, but there are nuances which I
documented in the messages in the archives.  For example, the Dell stock
image did *not* have 'noatime' or 'relatime' set in /etc/fstab, which is
a Bad Thing on a flash or SSD storage device.

Later,
JP