zuzu on 17 Sep 2009 21:29:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Hitting the Netbooks

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> I've been *very* pleased with the Mini-9 I got from the Dell "outlet"
> store.  Search the list archives for "mini-9" and you will find lots and
> lots of details.  I upgraded mine to 2G RAM and 16G SSD and the grand
> total would probably be just under $350 with current prices since they
> went up a bit since I did it.  Mine came with Ubuntu Hardy and I
> upgraded to Jaunty.  Both Just Worked, but there are nuances which I
> documented in the messages in the archives.  For example, the Dell stock
> image did *not* have 'noatime' or 'relatime' set in /etc/fstab, which is
> a Bad Thing on a flash or SSD storage device.

I have the Dell Vostro A90, which is the same thing as the Mini 9
except all black and with 16GB SSD, Bluetooth, and 0.3MP webcam by
default.  I upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB with a DDR2 SO-DIMM I had
left-over from upgrading an older MacBook Pro from 4GB to 6GB.

it's great except that the quote key is in a terrible location.  if
you swap out the US keyboard for the Intl. keyboard, you sacrifice
some spacebar size to have the quote key in its proper location.

eventually I'd like to upgrade to a 64GB RunCore SSD.