JP Vossen on 23 Sep 2009 14:51:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ddrescue/dd_rescue question

> Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 14:26:50 -0400
> From: Art Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>
>
> I want to try to rescue some files from a 300 GB NTFS partition.  I have an
> empty 160 GB drive to use as the target.  There are only 108 GB used on the
> NTFS partition.  Do ddrescue and dd_rescue copy free space, meaning I need a
> 300 GB target, or will the 160 GB target be enough for the <108 GB of data?
>
> I really only want to copy the user files.   ddrescue/dd_rescue seem only to
> work on whole partitions.  Is there a better solution that works as well on
> distinct source files?  rsync, even with --ignore-errors freezes bash on this
> drive.

I recall some very confusing names in the whole *dd*rescue app area.  Is
one of the ones you are trying this one?

http://debaday.debian.net/2007/12/12/gddrescue-a-tool-for-recovering-data-from-damaged-media/
	gddrescue: a tool for recovering data from damaged media

Also, what does "rescue user files" mean?  Deleted?  Bad disk?  Other?
Depending on that answer *dd*rescue may be overkill.  I've used foremost
to recover deleted files [1].

foremost: Forensics application to recover data
autopsy: graphical interface to SleuthKit [digital forensics tools]

Good luck,
JP
[1] $ sudo foremost -v -t jpg -i /dev/sdb1 -o .
Note this was a camera and thus a FAT file system, so YMMV.