Art Alexion on 26 Sep 2009 08:24:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] WiMax Questions Answered

On Monday 21 September 2009 15:58:48 JP Vossen wrote:
> Related (I haven't had time to read any of the articles yet):
>
> http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/09/19/0023216/WiMax-In-2010-mdash-Too-L
>ittle-Too-Late MobileWiMax In 2010 — Too Little, Too Late?
> Posted by Soulskill on Saturday September 19, @05:09AM
> from the that-only-gives-it-two-years dept.
>
> CWmike writes "By the end of 2010, users in more than 80 US cities may
> be able to ditch their cable modems, T1 setups and DSL lines — and the
> Wi-Fi routers that go with them — in favor of WiMax wireless technology.

I couldn't help thinking during the presentation that WiMax was great for
people who currently use cellular modems, and possibly people who don't want
to pay Barnes & Noble, etc. for WiFi access, but pointless at home or in the
office.

When they were showing the home modems, no one addressed the question, "why
should I dump cable/DSL/FiOS for a slower, less stable wireless alternative
at about the same price?"