JP Vossen on 16 Oct 2009 14:00:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Solid State Drives

> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:28:15 -0400
> From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>

[...]
> Other than turning off 'atime' are there any linux-speific issues to
> using SSDs for a system disk?  Given the cost difference I'm inclined to
> wait until early 2010 and see if there is a further price drop.

I was going to suggest 'relatime' instead of 'noatime' until I read this:
http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/03/01/ssds-journaling-and-noatimerelatime/

See also:

* man mount
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stat_%28Unix%29
	"... Reading a file changes its atime. File systems mounted with the
noatime option do not update the atime on reads, and the relatime option
provides for updates only if the previous atime is older than the mtime
or ctime. ..."

* http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148
	Linux: Replacing atime With relatime
	Submitted by Jeremy on August 7, 2007 - 2:26pm

I have an 16G SSD on my Mini9 with encrypted LVM and relatime and it
works great.  I love the no-internal-moving-parts thing.

Later,
JP