Gordon Dexter on 17 Oct 2009 09:31:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Solid State Drives

> Does using a software-encrypted disk also cause extra-write issues
> that might bother a SSD?  I would expect that it would typically
> encrypt and write more bits than were actually changed (so for
> instance, you couldn't analyze differences caused by trivial or known
> writes to attack the crypto).
>
> Thanks,
>       Aaron
The answer to that would depend on the block size of your cipher, since
any bit change in a block would cause the whole block to change.  If the
cipher block size was larger than 512 bytes than it might be a problem,
since that's the size of a single disk sector.  In all likelihood the
answer is no, since most ciphers operate on block sizes smaller than the
size of a sector.

--Gordon