JP Vossen on 22 Oct 2009 14:21:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] hostname fqdn not working as I'd expect

 > Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:15:22 -0400
 > From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>

 > My Ubuntu 8.10 workstation is giving me a pain in the network

:-)

Why 8.10?  It's not LTS and 9.04 was actually pretty good.  9.10 (second
upgrade attempt) is now working so far, though more testing is needed.

 > After fixing the config for nullmailer I started getting emails that
 > were being sent out by my own system.  A lot of these are bounces
 > because the "from" address is root@ursa.ursa    Why is that?

I don't know either, but if you find out tell me and the list.  I have
that problem, intermittently, on 1 Hardy machine.  All of the other
machines I have nullmailer on seem fine.

Since you mention it in conjunction with nullmailer, I suspect a
nullmailer bug rather than a hostname issue.  Here are my config files:

$ head -9999 /etc/nullmailer/*
==> /etc/nullmailer/adminaddr <==
jp@...org

==> /etc/nullmailer/pausetime <==
3600

==> /etc/nullmailer/remotes <==
mail...org

~~~~~~~
The pausetime cuts down on the email flood when a laptop is in use but
disconnected from the 'Net, so it can't send email and whines about it.

Later,
JP