Eric on 22 Oct 2009 14:34:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] hostname fqdn not working as I'd expect

JP Vossen wrote:
>  > Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:15:22 -0400
>  > From: Eric <eric@lucii.org>
>
>  > My Ubuntu 8.10 workstation is giving me a pain in the network
>
> :-)
>
> Why 8.10?  It's not LTS and 9.04 was actually pretty good.  9.10 (second
> upgrade attempt) is now working so far, though more testing is needed.

I tried an update to 9.04 but it balked - apparently some of the things
I've installed hamper that update.  I've played around with this
workstation _a _lot_.
I'm getting a new HD (10K or 15K rpm - about 80GB) for the OS so I'll
install 9.10 on that and mount the existing HD (250 GB) as /home.  This
will happen when I have some extra cash for hardware and a weekend (or
two) to burn setting it up :-)
>  > After fixing the config for nullmailer I started getting emails that
>  > were being sent out by my own system.  A lot of these are bounces
>  > because the "from" address is root@ursa.ursa    Why is that?
>
> I don't know either, but if you find out tell me and the list.  I have
> that problem, intermittently, on 1 Hardy machine.  All of the other
> machines I have nullmailer on seem fine.

Simply adding the fqdn to the entry in /etc/hosts solved the problem.
> Since you mention it in conjunction with nullmailer, I suspect a
> nullmailer bug rather than a hostname issue.  Here are my config files:
>
> $ head -9999 /etc/nullmailer/*
> ==> /etc/nullmailer/adminaddr <==
> jp@...org
>
> ==> /etc/nullmailer/pausetime <==
> 3600
>
> ==> /etc/nullmailer/remotes <==
> mail...org
>
> ~~~~~~~
> The pausetime cuts down on the email flood when a laptop is in use but
> disconnected from the 'Net, so it can't send email and whines about it.

Thanks.  I'll update the pausetime too... everything else seems to work.
> Later,
> JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|      http://bashcookbook.com/
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> "Microsoft Tax" = the additional hardware & yearly fees for the add-on
> software required to protect Windows from its own poorly designed and
> implemented self, while the overhead incidentally flattens Moore's Law
Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas
#