JP Vossen on 28 Oct 2009 13:05:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] aptitude/apt-get DB issue (fixed, fyi)

Well, it just happened again.  I've done almost nothing on this machine
but Thunderbird & Firefox, but I did one last 'aptitude update' then
'aptitude full-upgrade' before the servers are crushed tomorrow, and I got:
(Reading database ... dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
  failed in buffer_read(fd): files list for package `libprotobuf3':
Input/output error

The difference this time is that I streamlined the recovery process
slightly:

# rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/libprotobuf3.list
# dpkg --no-debsig --no-triggers --force-all -r libprotobuf3
# aptitude install libprotobuf3

Thus far that worked.  I'm really confused as to why only
/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list files are getting mangled.  I still suspect
the ext4 driver isn't ready for prime-time, possibly for SSDs/Atom/LPIA.
  I can see them wanting to get ext4 out the door before the 10.4 LTS,
but...  Or maybe there's a bad dpkg/aptitude package.  Sigh.

I think I have an outstanding kernel upgrade to reboot into, so I'll try
that.  Otherwise, I have not yet checked for Mini9 or SSD firmware
upgrades; the SSD is third-party and I really hate firmware updates
anyway.  I'd suspect a bad SSD but it's only those specific .list files
that I know of, and the whole-disk image recovery worked fine last time.

Later,
JP