Will Dyson on 28 Oct 2009 11:03:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blank Gnome Desktop

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Jeff Bailey <skydiver38@verizon.net> wrote:
> I still get the same issue - root can log in and get a desktop, but my user can't.  I get a graphical login prompt and can log in, but when it switches to the desktop, it just goes black.  I get a login sound, and have seen pop-up windows after logging in (like "checking for updates"), and have a mouse cursor, but other than that it's just black.  If I ctrl-alt-bkspace it drops out of X to a  console window.

One thing you might check is if metacity, nautilus, gnome-panel, etc..
are running when you are in this black-screen state. I would suspect
they are, since it seems like notification-daemon is running (the
checking for updates popup). But it never hurts to check for sure.

You can check this by using ctrl-alt-f1 to get to a console and
logging in there, while the borken X session is still running.

Another thing you can check there is to do

export DISPLAY=:0

and then run xterm and switch back to your X session to see if the
xterm is displayed.

Before I read your post more carefully, I suspected that something in
the login script was setting a mode unsupported by your monitor, but
this is clearly not the case if you see the mouse cursor.

--
Will Dyson