Jeff Bailey on 28 Oct 2009 20:36:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blank Gnome Desktop

Thanks for the replies...  More below...

Oct 28, 2009 02:03:53 PM, Will Dyson wrote:

> One thing you might check is if metacity, nautilus, gnome-panel, etc..
> are running when you are in this black-screen state. I would suspect
> they are, since it seems like notification-daemon is running (the
> checking for updates popup). But it never hurts to check for sure.

metacity yes, nautilus and gnome-panel, no.  And that's with the user logged into X.  Other gnome-* things are, but not panel.  As far as "etc", I don't know what else to look for.

> Another thing you can check there is to do
>
> export DISPLAY=:0
>
> and then run xterm and switch back to your X session to see if the
> xterm is displayed.

Tried this, and it kept telling me something along the lines of  "can't find display".

> Before I read your post more carefully, I suspected that something in
> the login script was setting a mode unsupported by your monitor, but
> this is clearly not the case if you see the mouse cursor.

Yep, see the cursor - it gives me a "wait cursor" for a few secs, then becomes a normal pointer, but all black screen.

Oct 28, 2009 12:37:52 PM, Ben Love wrote:

> This sounds like something is definitely wrong with your user.  Try
> creating a new (non-privileged) user, to make sure its not a permissions
> thing.

I created a new user, and they have no problems.  i blew away my .config dir, no difference.

> Assuming that works, I would try checking how gnome is being started.
> It's usually in a file that has "xinit" in the name (.xinit, xinitrc,
> etc).  You might also check ~/.xsession-errors for any error messages.

The latest .xsession-errors is here: (key is "plug")
http://shortText.com/kyrlu3qph

I don't know how X is being started - there's a "startx", and a "startgnome".  I have to look more into that...

> If you have an ~/.xsession, that's probably where the issue lies.  Clear
> it out and put only "exec bash" in it.  Then X should start with bash as
> your "window manager".  (Obviously, this won't be a long term solution.)
> If that works, and you had an ~/.xsession before, trying removing that
> file and restart X.

No .xsession.  But maybe I didn't check when the user was logged on - I'll double check that.

Thanks again...