Jeff Bailey on 31 Oct 2009 20:39:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blank Gnome Desktop

Oct 31, 2009 12:16:23 PM, Art wrote:

> Coming to this kinda late.  If you haven't fixed this yet, I'd create
> a new user that you can live with and move all of the data, not the
> configs, to the new user and chown.

Haven't fixed it yet, but did create the new user, and that's working.

I'm guessing I can copy the data that I want, delete the borked user, then create another "new" user with the old name and copy the data back.

But, something in me wants to find out what's causing the problem.  Just wish I had a better idea of how to form a plan of attack.

> Unlike windows, Linux can usually be fixed, and fixing it can be a
> learning experience that has enduring value.  But sometimes, it just
> isn't worth the effort, and a fix like this is more efficient.

Agree.  I'm sure this fix isn't worth the effort, yet I still feel like it's a cop-out to not try.  Wish I was more pragmatic. :-)

> I don't have any familiarity with your distro, other than looking at
> it once, but if you were told an upgrade isn't recommended, and to do
> a fresh install, I suspect that that applies to user configs as well
> as the non-home stuff.

That could very well be true, but if that's the case, then I would hope that their support (forums, etc) would have some clue as to what could be a root cause.  That hasn't been the case.

Thanks for the input.