Art Alexion on 31 Oct 2009 09:16:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Blank Gnome Desktop

On Oct 28, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Ben Love wrote:

> * Jeff Bailey (skydiver38@verizon.net) wrote:
>
>> I still get the same issue - root can log in and get a desktop, but
>> my
>> user can't.  I get a graphical login prompt and can log in, but when
>> it switches to the desktop, it just goes black.
>
> This sounds like something is definitely wrong with your user.  Try
> creating a new (non-privileged) user, to make sure its not a
> permissions
> thing.

Coming to this kinda late.  If you haven't fixed this yet, I'd create
a new user that you can live with and move all of the data, not the
configs, to the new user and chown.

I had to do this once, and I can live with user, arthur, as well as
user, art.

Unlike windows, Linux can usually be fixed, and fixing it can be a
learning experience that has enduring value.  But sometimes, it just
isn't worth the effort, and a fix like this is more efficient.

I don't have any familiarity with your distro, other than looking at
it once, but if you were told an upgrade isn't recommended, and to do
a fresh install, I suspect that that applies to user configs as well
as the non-home stuff.