Richard Freeman on 4 Nov 2009 09:00:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Android?

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> As Amaury said, I don't know that there is much need for apps to
> interact with the phone, as the phone itself has so many features, there
> isn't much need. Just throw your media on a miniSD card, and you are
> set.

Indeed, android doesn't really provide any hooks for a usb-connected
computer to interact with on-phone applications in a supported way.  The
best you could probably do is enable adb and then push/pull sqllite
files and edit them.  Ugh.

On the other hand, most of the google-provided apps have online sync,
and there are some options there.  For example, I sync my calendar and
contacts with google calendar/gmail and as a result my phone gets them
automatically.

As far as getting files to/from the microSD card goes, the device just
mounts as a usb storage device, so nothing could be easier on that front.

Note, all my android experience is on the G1 platform (with the JF or
Cyanogenmod firmware), so your mileage on Verizon might vary.  If you
aren't under contract you might give T-mobile a serious look - they're
considerably cheaper, especially with a data plan.  On the other hand,
their coverage definitely is weaker than Verizon's.  They do have 3G
over a substantial portion of the Philly metro area (alas, still falling
a few miles short of my home and work).