Greg Helledy on 9 Nov 2009 05:09:32 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird Lightning

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Sunday 08 November 2009 21:51:57 Greg Helledy wrote:
>> At home I use Icedove from Debian Lenny.  I had trouble getting the
>> plugin to work properly, so instead installed Sunbird (the standalone
>> app) as a download from the mozilla site.  That worked without a glitch.
>>

> Lee's suggestion that I not download the xpi from Mozilla, but rather use the
> version from the apt repos, seemed to fix everything.  The issue I was having
> with Ubuntu may be the same issue you are experiencing with Debian if you want
> to give it a try.

Lightning doesn't appear to be in the Debian repository.  There is
actually a package, "lightning", with description:  "library for
assembly code compilation at runtime".

FYIs on lightning:

*The data Lightning writes is not fully version-compatible.  That is, if
files are being worked on with 0.9 (the current release), attempts to
use the calendar with 0.9 or a previous release will produce errors that
you may be corrupting the calendar.

*If you use Lightning with ssl (are storing a calendar with CalDav and
provide an https:// address) and are also using TLS to secure email
communications, users may experience a prolonged "hang", lasting a few
minutes, on startup of the program.  Why this is goes beyond my level of
ability, but I suspect there's an issue with trying to establish two
encrypted connections from the same program simultaneously.  I say that
because if you disable TLS, the problem goes away.  This is for an IMAP
connection.

Both of these apply under both windows and linux.

Greg

information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.