Art Alexion on 26 Nov 2009 10:11:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Using "Foreign" PPD files for Postscript Printers

On Thursday 26 November 2009 11:31:12 Casey Bralla wrote:
> I'm thinking of buying a Lexmark C543dn color laser printer.   This is a
> postscript printer, so should be fairly simple to use with Linux.
> Unfortunately, however, it's not in the foomatic database.  I'm worried
>  that I may not be able to get the full benefit of the printer's features
>  without the full database entry.  (the duplex printing option may not
>  work, for example).
>
> Lexmark provides a PPD file for it.  Theoretically, this will make it easy
>  to use, but I'm skeptical of how much of cludge this might be.
>
> Has anybody ever used one of these "foreign" PPD files to make a printer
>  work? Any problems doing so?

All the time.

Whenever I want to connect a Linux box to an "unsupported" Dell printer at
work, I mount the Mac dmg file that comes on the printer driver disk on a Mac,
extract and save the PPD, and install it on the Linux boxes.

Never had a problem.

--
Art Alexion