Casey Bralla on 26 Nov 2009 08:31:23 -0800

[PLUG] Using "Foreign" PPD files for Postscript Printers

I'm thinking of buying a Lexmark C543dn color laser printer.   This is a
postscript printer, so should be fairly simple to use with Linux.
Unfortunately, however, it's not in the foomatic database.  I'm worried that I
may not be able to get the full benefit of the printer's features without the
full database entry.  (the duplex printing option may not work, for example).

Lexmark provides a PPD file for it.  Theoretically, this will make it easy to
use, but I'm skeptical of how much of cludge this might be.

Has anybody ever used one of these "foreign" PPD files to make a printer work?
Any problems doing so?
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence