Gordon Dexter on 3 Dec 2009 21:12:08 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Self-hosted online backups?

Well it seems that part of JP's dilemma is what program to use.  He
seems to require that the backup is:
a) always encrypted on the backup server
b) space/bandwidth efficient

A is the tough one really.  Most solutions assume the backup server is
under your complete control--not always true, or safe, given the amount
of data it has.  I would try some solution with TrueCrypt and
rsnapshot.  Rsnapshot is a nifty rsync-based program that automatically
creates full backups every time, but files that do not change between
backups are created as hard links, so you're only really storing and
transferring one copy of it, even if it's in multiple directories.  I
realize that doing the encryption on the server is perhaps not exactly
what he was looking for, since it entails less automation or less
security, but I think it's workable.

--Gordon

--Gordon