JP Vossen on 22 Dec 2009 13:36:00 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Best way to edit EXIF info on linux?

 > Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 14:01:15 -0500
 > From: Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
 >
 > I'd like to be able to remove some or all of the EXIF data in .jpg
 > files I make public.  GIMP displays some of the information, but
 > doesn't really provide for editing.  KDE lets you edit some (but not
 > all) things by right-clicking on the file and changing its properties.
 >
 > A search for "exif" on packages.debian.org turns up some libraries
 > related to this function, but no GUI app that offers to let you
 > manually edit/delete this data.  Is there any such thing?

If you want to do it for a lot of pics, you are better off on the
command line anyway.  There are lots of CLI utils to read EXIF, but I
only see a couple that can obviously write it (more probably exist with
less clear descriptions):

$ apt-cache search exif | sort | less
[Mark I eyeball scanning, copy&paste:]
exiv2 - EXIF/IPTC metadata manipulation tool
jhead - manipulate the non-image part of Exif compliant JPEG files

If you really want a GUI, I suspect that at least one of these would do
that:

$ apt-cache search image viewer | sort | less
danpei - Gtk+ based Image Viewer
gimageview - Image Viewer using GTK+
gpicview - lightweight image viewer
gqview - A simple image viewer using GTK+
gthumb - an image viewer and browser
imgseek - Image viewer and manager with content based query
showimg - A feature-rich image viewer

$ apt-cache search photo | sort | less
albumshaper - Photo album creator and photo manipulator
f-spot - personal photo management application
flphoto - Image manager with great printing functionality
lphoto - digital photo manager

Out-of-scope, but sounds cool:
gpscorrelate - correlates digital photos with GPS data filling EXIF fields
gpscorrelate-gui - correlates digital photos with GPS data filling EXIF
fields

BONUS:
I've used this one to edit ID3 tags in MP3s, it's a bit clunky but the
best of the 3-4 GUI tools I tried.  I wanted GUI in this case because I
had a small number of dissimilar changes to make and figuring it out on
the CLI would have been slower:
exfalso - audio tag editor for GTK+

Good luck,
JP