Ron Kaye Jr on 29 Dec 2009 11:57:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VMware ESXi question...GPARTED

we  used vcenter 2.5, and the gparted iso
highlight your vm, change boot order, reboot to gparted iso, make chnage

boot to vm os, space now available
its sweet

Ron Kaye Jr
914-7294734

Dec 28, 2009 08:59:05 PM, plug@lists.phillylinux.org wrote:
John Von Essen wrote:
> Huh?
>
> With VMware ESXi 4.0 everything is done via the vCenter console GUI.
> There is no command line I am aware of.

On Vmware's site under "Drivers and Tools" you can get the "Vsphere
CLI 4.0" download
which has the command-line tools including 'vmkfstools"
Alternately you can download the Vsphere VMA, which includes the CLI
tools pre installed
in a Linux VM. These tools replace the missing command line that
was stripped out of
ESX.

So you would convert the disk to a larger size using vmkfstools ( you
may have to copy it
to a new disk, instead of resizing in place ). Then use windows
command line tool 'diskpart'
to grow the volume to fill the partition. If this is the "C" volume,
then you will have to move
that disk to another Windows VM, attach it, grow it. and then move it
back to the original
VM.

If Gparted will now expand a .vmdk disk, that would be far easier and
quicker.

Lee