Casey Bralla on 30 Dec 2009 06:36:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VBox USB issue

On Wednesday 30 December 2009 9:27:42 am Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 December 2009 08:39:47 Casey Bralla wrote:
> > You are probably using the "ose" version of VirtualBox, which does not
> >  include  USB support.  The ose version is the fully GPL'd open source
> >  system.    In order to get USB support, you have to download the binary
> >  version from VirtualBox.org.   They have Debian packages, which I
> > presume will work in Ubuntu.   Their download page shows you how to add
> > the VirtualBox repository to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.   Once
> > there, Ubuntu can automatically download and install it just like any
> > other package.
>
> On Wednesday 30 December 2009 09:18:14 Andrew Holden wrote:
> > From http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/User_FAQ
> > USB: if you are having trouble accessing USB devices in a guest, make
> > sure that you are a member of the vboxusers system group.
> >
> > There are a couple of good step by step help guides to doing that.
> >
> > Also, I know we all hate to reboot our Linux boxes but I found that
> > after all these changes were made a reboot made Virtualbox show up in
> > the application menu and also made the USB devices show non-gray in
> > the device list. Yay - I was happy even if uptime was reset to zero...
> >
> > Oh, and I just realized that it sounds like you're not even seeing
> > your devices grayed out in the device menu, I think that might mean
> > you have to set up USB filters in the main Virtualbox application
> > (with the VM shut down). I think that's what tells Virtualbox whether
> > that particular USB device is available to that VM - otherwise it
> > could get confused. You may not need to do that, but it's a
> > possibility.
> >
> > Hope this all helps,
>
> Thanks to both of you.  This helps very much as I am using the Open Source
> Edition.  One last question, before I destroy everything, is this a smooth
> upgrade in the sense that the closed source install will be able to access
>  my existing VMs and not break them?

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your specific question, but please be
warned that you cannot simply copy the files under /home/username/.VirtualBox
and have them work on a new system.   You have to use the VBoxManage utility
to back the VMs up, then use that utility to restore them on a new system.

I don't understand why this is the case, since the files seem pretty simple,
but I've been caught by this in the recent pas
--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation