Casey Bralla on 30 Dec 2009 09:15:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VBox USB issue

On Wednesday 30 December 2009 11:37:01 am Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 December 2009 11:04:28 Andrew Holden wrote:
> > Also, in reply to Casey I don't think you have to use the special
> > utilities if you are carrying the VM from one physical machine to
> > another, I think that may just be used if you wish to duplicate a VM
> > to be used on the same physical machine. Again, that's just my own
> > experience (I have done both).
>
> My understanding of it is that the utilities will allow you to move the VM,
> including all settings.  You can just copy the Virtual hard drive, the vdi
> file, and set up an new VM with it.

Me experiences were (unfortunately) not as benign as yours.  When I simply
copied the entire home/username/.VirtualBox directory to a new system, I got
an "unrecognized VM" error of some type (I don't remember the exact message).
I was able to restore my copied disks, but had 2 problems:

1.  The network does not function in a Debian VM (not sure why yet.  "lo" is
there but "eth0" is missing)
2.  The copy protection on my Windows XP-based commercial CAD system refused
to run since it was a different "system".   (I've already blistered the vendor
in a blog post about their copy protection, and they're sending me a new key.)

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation