Andrew Holden on 30 Dec 2009 08:04:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VBox USB issue

> Thanks to both of you.  This helps very much as I am using the Open Source
> Edition.  One last question, before I destroy everything, is this a smooth
> upgrade in the sense that the closed source install will be able to access
> my
> existing VMs and not break them?
>

> When I upgraded from the open source to the closed source versions of
> VirtualBox all of my VMs and configuration worked just fine afterward.  I'm
> running Intrepid.  I believe that I just downloaded the .deb and installed
> it with dpkg as I have no corresponding entry in /etc/apt/sources.list.
> After that, it checks for updates itself when I start it.

Yes, my experience has been similar, the virtual machines created in
the open source edition (OSE) worked fine in the closed source version
(thankfully).

Also, in reply to Casey I don't think you have to use the special
utilities if you are carrying the VM from one physical machine to
another, I think that may just be used if you wish to duplicate a VM
to be used on the same physical machine. Again, that's just my own
experience (I have done both).

-Andrew