Randall A Sindlinger on 7 Jan 2010 10:37:55 -0800

[PLUG] What's wrong with moving parts? [Was: Running Linux from a USB key?]

Maybe I'm old-fashioned already.

What's wrong with moving parts?  I can understand the extraordinary benefits
of no moving parts in a laptop or netbook.  But in a server?  Is this for a
client on the San Andreas Fault?  Or are you running this in the back of a
semi like on Knight Rider?

Seriously, are solid state devices at the point of being able to compete
with spinning disk for data transfer rates, capacity, and longevity beyond
their hands-down superior anti-shock ruggedness?

-Randall