JP Vossen on 7 Jan 2010 13:24:34 -0800

[PLUG] What's wrong with moving parts? [Was: Running Linux, from a USB key?]

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:37:50 -0500
> From: Randall A Sindlinger<rsindlin+plug@seas.upenn.edu>
>
> Maybe I'm old-fashioned already.

I dunno about you, but I am...

> What's wrong with moving parts?

They wear out & break.  (You asked... :)

> I can understand the extraordinary benefits
> of no moving parts in a laptop or netbook.  But in a server?  Is this for a
> client on the San Andreas Fault?  Or are you running this in the back of a
> semi like on Knight Rider?

For a normal server, I agree.  I like the SSD in my Mini-9.

I'm talking about a dedicated backup server that lives *inside* a
fire-resistant safe.  Power and Ethernet come in via a small hole that
was pre-drilled by the manufacturer to allow lights or a dehumidifier,
so it's "legit."  I ended up with that config partly because fewer parts
to move & break just seemed like a Good Idea, and partly because the
original machine is intended to be used embedded so it had the CF-Card
option (so no moving parts at all).  Now it's partly habit, and partly
the fact that having the OS *not* be on the drive was really handy when
the drive died, and/or I had to replace it with a bigger one.

> Seriously, are solid state devices at the point of being able to compete
> with spinning disk for data transfer rates, capacity, and longevity beyond
> their hands-down superior anti-shock ruggedness?

Certainly not for capacity, or price/GB, I dunno about your other
points.  But we're not even talking about a for-real SSD.  I'm talking
about a quick/dirty/cheap/easy USB key "solution."

My $0.02,
JP