Richard Freeman on 15 Jan 2010 10:48:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird 3 (sucks so far)

On 01/10/2010 04:43 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
> Anyone using Thunderbird 3?  I tried it on my Windows XP work machine
> and am mostly hating it.

I have to say that I actually like it.  Granted, I've turned off the
indexing.

I use an IMAP repository and the performance of TB3 is MUCH better than
it was in TB2.  No doubt some of this is due to better threading - and
that is fine by me.  When I hit delete I don't want to stare at TB
syncing its caches or whatever for 30 seconds.  Note that my server
itself is fine - if I use a different mail client deletes are almost
instant.  I don't care if TB needs to thrash as long as it does it in
the background.

Now, I did read up about the upgrade and turned off the offline indexing
when I set everything up.  I don't need to have two copies of my maildir
sitting on my hard drive - especially since this is backed up and I pay
by the GB for AWS storage.

The only annoying thing is that plugins aren't all migrated yet.
Enigmail is a big one that isn't ready yet.

Rich