JP Vossen on 29 Jan 2010 13:43:57 -0800

Re: [PLUG] no moving parts

> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:16:19 -0500
> From: Richard Freeman<r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] no moving parts
>
> On 01/29/2010 01:14 PM, JP Vossen wrote:
>> I can imagine a computer with no moving parts though.  Use a projector
>> for the display, and a laser/LED projection with an IR sensor for a
>> keyboard (I'm pretty sure I read about that one already).
>
> Are you sure that laser/LED projector doesn't have any moving parts
> (like a rapidly oscillating mirror)?

I was hoping no one would call me on that part either.  But I'm going to
claim ignorance of how those really work.

> In any case, a computer requires neither a display, nor a keyboard.

True, I should have specified a general purpose end-user
workstation-like computer.  Similar in function but not form to a laptop.

> However, manual input-output isn't really a problem.  The display is
> already easy, and for input just have an array of photodiodes shaped
> like a keyboard that you can point your flashlight at.  Actually, if you
> wanted to be really clever just type on them, and have the keyboard
> register the blocking of ambient light as each "button" is pressed.

Yeah, that's what I mean.  Ambient, IR, whatever.  The flashlight thing
is too cumbersome, I want a full-size QWERTY keyboard.  OK, tactile
feedback will not exist, but otherwise...
This is the one I was thinking of:
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

The first generations would be just a chunk of plastic you sit on the
desk and it does the display and keyboard.  Later generations would be
even more "wearable" once the holographic I/O devices are sorted out.
Assuming the neural interfaces don't beat them to the punch.

Either way, we end up here:
http://www.dilbert.com/fast/1994-10-12/
http://www.dilbert.com/fast/1993-03-10/

> Of course, this only qualifies as a computer with no moving macroscopic
> parts.  Once you start counting electrons and photons...  Then again, if
> electrons and photons do not occupy any particular discrete region of
> space, can they really be said to move?  :)

Oh Bog, why me?!?  Look, as long as we don't actually LOOK for them,
who's to know?

:-)
JP