Douglas Muth on 3 Feb 2010 11:37:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a new hosting company

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard that 1and1's support is horrendous.

This is a bit dated, but here's a horror story about how 1 and 1
decided that a customer was using "too much server resources" and took
his website hostage:

http://elliottback.com/wp/1and1-sucks/

Ouch.

That's another reason why I recommend doing backups yourself.  It
avoids situations like this--where the webhost has all copies of the
data.

I also consider any webhhost who says you're using "too much
resources" and fails to provide actual details (numbers, RRDTool
graphs, etc.) as a big Red Flag and worth avoiding. (Dreamhost pulled
that same stunt with me, which is why I'm no longer there, either)

-- Doug