Arthur S. Alexion on 3 Feb 2010 12:02:26 -0800

Re: [PLUG] why go open- my xp box massively exploited ... AGAIN

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 14:23:30 Sean M. Collins wrote:
>   On 2/3/10 1:01 PM, Art Alexion wrote:
> > I really think the Open Source community should be emphasizing open data
> > formats over open source applications and systems.
>
> Applications drive formats. Not the other way around.

True now, but it doesn't have to be that way.  Open formats allow choice of
applications, and that is what open source is about.

If I don't like Open Office, I can use kword, and if I don't like either, I
can use abiword.  If winword and lotus symphony used the open doc format, then
they would all be compatible.  Works that way with a lot of media formats now.
I don't need to use some company's mp3 player.  I can play mp3 formatted stuff
on most everything, so I can choose which app I use based on interface,
resources, desktop compatibility, etc.  Now, apply that to stuff like
bookkeeping, tax, etc. and I think we would all be better off.

--
Art Alexion