Art Clemons on 3 Feb 2010 15:32:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] why go open- my xp box massively exploited ... AGAIN

> If winword and lotus symphony used the open doc format, then
> they would all be compatible.

I don't want to be pedantic, but the latest version of Lotus I've seen
is just a slightly reformatted version of either OpenOffice or
StarOffice.  It can certainly be set to save in ODT and opens documents
in that format without complaint.  Personally I'ld just use OpenOffice,
but Lotus Symphony does still officially exist.

As for Word, most recent versions can theoretically use a plugin to open
ODF format documents and write them.  Your conversion efficiency will
vary depending upon how complicated the document is and how well the
plugin works.  Of course, similar problems happen with Word version
conversions.  It is ironic but not surprising.