JP Vossen on 4 Feb 2010 14:50:34 -0800

[PLUG] Co-existing with the package system & compiled

I recently mentioned how much more I like roxterm than Gnome-term, and
that I'd suggested an "indicator" system for when background tabs
change.  Well, the developer has graciously implemented that suggestion,
and now I need to test it.

If I do 'sudo make install', I'll nuke the stock Karmic package.  I
think I'm OK with that--unless something breaks.  According to the docs
there is an uninstall target, so 'sudo make uninstall && sudo aptitude
reinstall roxterm' *should* fix everything.  I think...

I tried running the compiled binary without installing it, but it broke,
I assume due to mis-matched $other_stuff in $various_places from the
existing version.

Since I am using Ubuntu (and not Gentoo :), I vastly prefer to stay
within the packaging system, and while I've used PPAs (for e.g., newer
OpenOffice on Hardy) I don't think I've ever had this kind of overlap
before.

What is going to bite me?  Any suggestions?

If anyone else wants to test it out:

### https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/509544

$ sudo aptitude install autoconf2.13 libtool gettext libglib2.0-dev
libgtk2.0-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libvte-dev libglade2-dev
### Other things might be needed, that was all I needed, but
### I've already got quite a bit installed on my Karmic
$ svn co
https://roxterm.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/roxterm/trunk/roxterm ROXTerm
$ cd ROXTerm/
$ ./bootstrap.sh