sean finney on 5 Feb 2010 01:01:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Co-existing with the package system & compiled

a slightly old-school, sysadminny approach:

sudo apt-get install stow
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/stow
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/yourapp-yourversion
make && sudo make install
cd /usr/local/stow && sudo stow yourapp-yourversion

this installs the app into a specific and managable directory, and then
"stows" symlinks out to /usr/local, which is probably included in your
default PATH (and linker path for shared libraries, big plus).  assuming
that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin in your path, anything that
calls "yourapp" without an absolute path should Just Work.  Of course
there are exceptions where this doesn't work so well, and if you're
installing shared libraries that conflict with installed libraries you
may have to elect to compile the app statically instead (usually just
--enable-static --disable-shared or similar with autofoo packages).

I don't like having to do this for more than a small number of packages,
mostly because i'm lazy and would rather work *with* the pkg management
system rather than against it.

if your feeling more adventurous, you could also make your own updated
package (usually you can take the existing source package and just copy
the debian directory onto the new version, and bump the changelog)
and install it locally.  hey, you could even share the updated package
with your favorite distribution :)

	sean