Art Alexion on 19 Feb 2010 04:37:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Read/wirte samba sharing

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Art Clemons <artclemons@aol.com> wrote:
On 02/15/2010 10:02 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:
> How would one know if this were the case?  I couldn't find any relevant
> documentation on the samba website.  I've been running the same smb.conf
> for quite a few years now, and I'm running a windows domain with roaming
> profiles from it for a bunch of computers running XP Pro.  I don't have
> LDAP/NIS or anything like that running.

I really do have to start checking email more frequently!  Your smb.conf
normally would not need changing if it worked, instead you would mount
manually with a command like:

mount -t cifs -o guest //192.168.1.100/share /path_to/mount

with of course the proper IP address inserted and the path.

in /etc/fstab, the relevant line would look something like:

//192.168.1.100/share   /path_to/mount noauto,users,rw,exec 0  0

If you wanted users to be able to mount said path but didn't want said
share always mounted.  Substitute auto for noauto if you want it
permanently mounted on startup.

Thanks, Art, but the problem isn't on the Linux client side.  The Linux box is the server in my situation; the client boxes are Mac OS and Win 7.  The Linux box shares the directory rw, but the clients don't think they have write permissions.

--
artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface