Art Clemons on 19 Feb 2010 06:03:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Read/wirte samba sharing

Art Alexion wrote:

>     with of course the proper IP address inserted and the path
>     Thanks, Art, but the problem isn't on the Linux client side.  The
>     Linux box is the server in my situation; the client boxes are Mac
>     OS and Win 7.  The Linux box shares the directory rw, but the
>     clients don't think they have write permissions.

I just tried this, using my daughter's Mac mini and another computer
running Win7 Home Premium.  I could read, delete and write with the Win7
box once I changed it to using a workgroup as opposed to a home group.
Bluntly, MS apparently is going to confuse a lot of folks with home
networking setups with Home groups if this continues, since the
homegroup setting only works with Win7 computers.

I also had to slightly cheat and change smb.conf to use "security =
share" (which is hopelessly outdated and discouraged), which leads me to
suspect that Windows doesn't properly deal with users and passwords.
When I switched back to my normal security settings in smb.conf, I could
still read but not write or delete.

I couldn't figure out how to quickly get the mac to connect and write,
and I'm running late now.