Casey Bralla on 23 Feb 2010 16:43:09 -0800

[PLUG] How to Signal from a Modem?

I have a system monitor running on my home network.  I want to be able to have
it signal me if there is a problem.   Unfortunately, it will have to be via a
cell phone (text or voice) since it must work if the entire network fails (ie:
no eMail!!).

I was thinking of using an old modem on the POTS line, but am not sure how I'd
handle the signalling.  Maybe just call my cell phone and let caller ID be the
notification?  Or maybe generate a series of key-presses on the modem which
codes the problem  (kinda like a BIOS beep error code).

Anybody have any suggestions for a simple system that would use old hardware?
--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation