Claude M. Schrader on 1 Mar 2010 12:41:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Postfix address re-write rules?

On 15:32 Mon 01 Mar     , JP Vossen wrote:
> Fair warning: I haven't Googled this yet.  I have a hunch I'll find a
> bunch of stuff that is almost, but not quite, completely wrong for what
> I'd like to do.
>
> Problem: there is an external email address to which I can send email
> but my wife can't.  This is due to an incredibly FUBAR remote mail
> server, over which I have no control and which has not improved in
> years, nor will it.  Ever.  :-(  Note we're both using my server, on my
> domain, mine works because of a special exception on the remote side
> that we can't get duplicated.  (Don't ask.)
>
> Work-around: when my wife replies to that address, she can manually
> change it to a different one that works.  Except sometimes she forgets,
> and the broken server never send a failure message either so the reply
> just vaporises.
>
> Proposed Solution: Ideally, if my wife sends an email to the bad address
> (due to hitting reply and forgetting to change it), Postfix will
> re-write with a good address, but if I send it will do nothing.  Worst
> case, I just re-write everything going to the bad address with the good one.
>
> IOW, ideally:
> 	me --> bad.com = just works
> 	wife --> bad.com --} postfix changes to good.com = works
>

> Anyone have any clues?  I'm using stock Lenny Postfix 2.5.5-1.1 if that
> matters.
>
> Thanks,
> JP

Possible Solution 1: defriend that person. You must *really* like
that person to deal with such a broken mailserver

Possible Solution 2: I'm not sure what MUA your wife uses, but I
know with mutt you can set up hooks to automatically set the from
address based some some arbitrary criteria. There may be a thunderbird
extention to do the same?

Possible Solution 3: Also, look into the sender_canonical_maps config option in postfix. It can
do some sort of outgoing sender address rewriting, but I have no idea how
granular it is.

Hope this helps.
Claude