Richard Freeman on 3 Mar 2010 17:25:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Starting a holy war (MS SFU vs. Cygwin)

On 03/03/2010 08:55 AM, Daniel W. Ottey wrote:
> What I like least about Cygwin is that you cannot install binary apps
> from inside of Cygwin (like yum or apt).  Instead you need to run the
> setup.exe utilitiy.

Here is one approach to solving that particular problem:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/

Yes, you can even run Gentoo on a windows kernel...

Or, for that matter, Gentoo on Ubuntu.  :)

Basically you install a full Gentoo distro, but on a directory path
other than your root.  Then you update your paths/etc to include the
appropriate bin dirs, and the Gentoo package manager confines itself to
its private area of the hard drive, and I believe Gentoo packages get
configured to stay in that area as well (looking in $PREFIX/etc instead
of /etc, for example).

Note, this is relatively experimental, but I'd say that a majority of
packages supported by Gentoo and its overlays will work with it.

Rich