John Von Essen on 12 Mar 2010 07:48:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Rackspace

Rackspace.com is the worst place to do small colo or VPS. There biggest advantage is their name. Pricing is way too high, and service sucks.

I had a customer contact me last week, they wanted a single server (Win2008), Rackspace quoted them something like $1300/month.

Anyway... You definitely dont need a colocated server for this, it can easily be done with VPS - but good VPS - the kind that has guaranteed resources and is not oversubscribed.

My company here in Phila does all of it, colocation hosting, VPS. 24x7 "local" Service and Support

Our VPS platforms are a blend of Xen and VMware ESX. The slices receive dedicated system resources. So if you go with 1GHz, 512MB RAM, and 20GB HDD - you get exactly that - no over subscription and no competing for resources. Prices start around $20/month for Linux.

If interested, just check us out: