sean finney on 23 Mar 2010 23:57:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sharing and distributing software

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 07:17:32PM -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
> So, currently we have /net/shared/software and when we compile
> something we use, ./configure --prefix=/net/shared/software
> This is kind of like having LFS (Linux from scratch with versions)
> onto a NFS share
>
> I was wondering if anyone has a better way of doing this or share tips
> or tricks. I would also be interested in a a regression method, so for

at many of the larger sites i've worked with, they use environment modules
to solve this.  modules is a bit hacky but ultimately it does work pretty
well.

basically, software is installed in pkg/version specific directories
like /sw/<pkg>/<vers>/, and then a module file is created to do all the
required environment settings (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH if necessary, etc).
users can then load/unload individual packages, and there's a very crude
system of dependencies in case you have interdependencies between modules.
users can also query what tools/versions are available, and you can feel
much less stressed that installing a new version will break things for
the entire site :)

	sean