Asheesh Laroia on 3 Apr 2010 17:57:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] dying hd?

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010, sean finney wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:53:48AM -0400, Eric wrote:
>>> There is dd_recover and dderecover as well (yes they are different).
>>>
>> ... I've used one but not the other (I think it was dd_recover) and it
>> is essential for what you're trying to do here.  I was able to set it to
>> try a fixed number of times to try to read a bad block and then just
>> continue to the next block without ending the program.  It can also do
>
> i'm a big fan of dd_rescue (debian package: ddrescue).  especially with the
> -A flag, where it will after giving up on a chunk of disk replace it
> with an equivalently large padding of zero bytes (i.e. the resulting image
> should still hopefully be a consistant filesystem image, just with a few
> corrupt files).

I prefer GNU ddrescue to "brand name" dd_rescue because, when I last
checked, "brand name" dd_rescue requires this icky helper script dd_rhelp
to do the best rescue possible.

So a while ago I wrote http://www.asheesh.org/note/sysop/ddrescue.html .

If my information is out of date, I should update that page.

-- Asheesh.

--
BOFH excuse #381:

Robotic tape changer mistook operator's tie for a backup tape.