Kevin McAllister on 3 Apr 2010 14:21:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] SNMP Newbie Help

On Apr 3, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Casey Bralla wrote:

> I'm trying to understand snmp, and I think my alzheimer's is acting up, and I
> can't make heads-or-tails of this stuff.  Can somebody give me a few examples
> of CLI access to snmp?

Here's one simple example:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c COMMUNITYSTRING IPADDRESS .1

The .1 on the end is the starting point for the walk.  .1 is the root of the hierarchy so that should walk everything available.  I explicitly did version 2c, but depending on the implementation you are walking you may need to indicate '-v 1'

There is some way to ask net-snmp not to resolve the OID names for you so you can just get the numbers but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

One thing that can often hang you up is a lot of devices or the firewalls in front of them will block snmp access or UDP port 161.