John Karr on 17 Apr 2010 18:30:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] knetworkmanager prompts for WPA password

Plug in to a wired connection and try "sudo apt-get install wicd". Then
reboot your computer.
It is a much better wifi manager.
I started to use it after grief with Kwifi/Kwallet.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Conor Schaefer
Sent: Saturday, April 17, 2010 2:28 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] knetworkmanager prompts for WPA password

On 04/12/2010 01:05 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
> I have a laptop running Kubuntu 9.10.  I use it with my local wifi,
> which uses a WPA2 password. The problem is that the network connection
> is not activated, unless I sign in an click OK on the connection
> prompt. It is remembering my password, as I don't have to type it in.
> But I have no network connectivity until I answer that password
> prompt.
>
> How can I tell it to just connect using the saved password, and don't
> bother prompting me for the password?
>
> I can't log into my AD domain, because the network isn't available, by
> the time the GUI login comes up. And it's not a matter of waiting for
> services to load; the network doesn't seem to activate until I click
> OK on that screen. I imagine it's something simple, but I haven't been
> able to google what that simple something is ....
>
> Thanks

AFAIK, that's the keyring manager at work in KDE. Although it sounds
painfully insecure, what I ended up doing was just changing the keyring
(officially dubbed KWallet) password to null. That means that passwords
are stored insecurely (i.e. in plain text) on my system, but I could not
stand the wireless password prompt on every damn boot up. That connect
should happen automatically, damn it!

If anyone has suggestions for how to get around the prompt, other than
the method I describe above, please advise. On my desktop machine,
KWallet would badger me every time I started Amarok (for access to
Last.fm login credentials, I suppose), and so I changed the password to
be blank on that machine, too.