Randall A Sindlinger on 21 Apr 2010 07:40:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Shell scripting?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 09:49:12AM -0400, Paul L. Snyder wrote:

> Invoking bash as sh (that is, via the link) changes its behavior.
> (It's the equivalent of invoking with the --posix option.)  It doesn't
> result in a perfect emulation of the historical Bourne shell behavior,
> but it shifts a few things around so it's a bit closer.

Wow.

This is a fantastic thread, let alone idea for a topic (though my
evenings always seem to be busy :-(

I never read the "INVOCATION" section of the bash man page before.
I had no idea.  I can imagine an interview question now of "when
is a symlink not just a symlink".  :-P

After reading that section, either I'm misunderstanding it, or there's
actually an even yet more subtle difference to invoking bash as /bin/sh
vs invoking it with --posix.

Sadly, the phrase "It's not a bug - it's a feature!" is coming to
mind.  It's amazing what documenting something well(?) will let you
get away with.  I need another cup of coffee before I go back to that
man page.  <sigh/>

-Randall