Eric H. Johnson on 27 Apr 2010 07:50:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] grub shows no menu

Mike,

Ubuntu 9.10 went to Grub 2. See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2

Regards,
Eric

I downloaded a Ubuntu 9.10 server VM appliance, to use on our ESX
cluster. All seems fine, except that I see no menu when grub loads at
boot time. I want to change the console (framebuffer) resolution
(there's no GUI here). Ordinarily, I'd change an entry in menu.lst in
/boot/grub. But here, I see no files named "menu" at all. I do see "grub

So how do I get grub to show me a menu? And (more importantly) how do I
then change the resolution, to get more screen real estate?

I tried "update-grub", and it said it found this and that, but still
made no menu.lst, nor showed me a menu on restart.