JP Vossen on 27 Apr 2010 12:48:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] grub shows no menu

> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:34:29 -0400
> From: Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>
>
> I downloaded a Ubuntu 9.10 server VM appliance, to use on our ESX
> cluster. All seems fine, except that I see no menu when grub loads at
> boot time. I want to change the console (framebuffer) resolution
> (there's no GUI here). Ordinarily, I'd change an entry in menu.lst in
> /boot/grub. But here, I see no files named "menu" at all. I do see "grub
>
> So how do I get grub to show me a menu? And (more importantly) how do I
> then change the resolution, to get more screen real estate?
>
> I tried "update-grub", and it said it found this and that, but still
> made no menu.lst, nor showed me a menu on restart.

Amusing rant on this topic here, but I doubt it will answer your
question: http://vrt-sourcefire.blogspot.com/2010/04/wtf-ubuntu.html

What is even funnier though, is that SourceFire/Snort.org has, in my
opinion, a truly terrible build and QA process (and I use "QA" and
"process" very loosely) for VRT updates to snort rules.  They are kind
of aware of that and talk about fixing it now and then, but really
stupid stuff still happens much too often for a commercial company that
provides data you have to pay a good amount of money for.

So I find it pretty ironic that this guy is whining about all the
changes that Ubuntu made to the stuff he gets for free, while changes,
errors and omissions his department makes regularly break updates that
people pay for.  If this was his personal blog, I'd have no comment, but
since this is in the "official VRT blog," well...stones and glass houses
dude...

Later,
JP