Andrew Keyes on 29 Apr 2010 05:25:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] grub shows no menu

By default, Ubuntu will not upgrade Grub when you upgrade the system (at least to a new major version). A fresh install of 10.04 will not show the 'Esc to enter GRUB' text, but rather a small icon at the bottom of the screen described to me only as "keyboard = happy man". At that point, you can hit any key to bring up grub. On the 10.04 live cd, hold shift while the CD is first starting to boot to bring up the classic live cd boot menu that everyone is used to from past versions.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:15, Art Alexion <arthur@alexion.com> wrote:
On Wednesday 28 April 2010 08:42:25 Mike Leone wrote:
> > OK, $ grub --version
> > grub (GNU GRUB 0.97), but these are all current Ubuntus.  Perhaps grub is
> > not  upgraded with release upgrades?
> >

> This grub is 1.97 beta 4.

Interesting.  Today, I noticed that grub2 was being installed from the lucid-
proposed repo.

I ran the above version test and got the same result after a reboot.

Checked the repos via synaptic, and it appears that I am running grub 0.97 and
grub-common 1.97.  Both grub and grub2 are in the repos.  I suppose that if
you wanted to downgrade for now, you could.

--
Art Alexion